Training is an important part of learning to become an effective leader. The important scouting position you hold will be easier and more effective once you develop the skills necessary to deliver a quality scouting program every Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturer desires. Every youth member of Scouting deserves a Trained Leader.
The Heart of America Council provides training courses for every position in Scouting. The information below will help you find the courses you need for your current or future position, when they are scheduled, and contact information if you have questions about training courses offered in your area.
Registered Leader Training Initiative for the Next Century
In order to ensure that all youth in our Council receive the best Scouting program possible, the Executive Board of the Heart of America Council considers it imperative that all registered leaders become familiar with the Scouting program, how it works at the different levels and how to implement it, while making it fun and exciting for the youth of the program. All this is accomplished through leadership training. In December of 2009 and January of 2010, the Heart of America Council initiated a three year training initiative that was established to achieve the goal of 100% trained leaders in all of the traditional units.
With new updates to myscouting.org and my.scouting.org, please DO NOT create additional accounts. Doing this will cause an additional profile in Scoutnet on the Council side.
There are many training courses that can be taken online at www.my.scouting.org.
- Create an account — this can be done with or without your BSA membership ID.
- If you enter your membership ID, your training records will be updated at the Council Office.
- If you are not yet registered, you can still take training, just print the certificate at the end of each course.
- After your account is created you will receive an email with a link. Click the link to activate your My.Scouting account. This must be done before you can log in. If you do not receive an email, check your spam/junk folder.
- Once you log in to my.scouting, click Home at the top left corner. Then click my dashboard. It will default to the My Training section which was also enhanced providing 4 new tab selections:
- YPT – displays the Youth Protection training courses available.
- Training Center – displays the Scouting programs containing the training courses applicable to the specific program.
- Requirements – displays training courses required to become position-trained for your current registered position(s).
- Completions – displays training courses that were completed.
- Submit your certificate of completion to your District Training Chair.
At this time, the www.myscouting.org page is functioning for Training Validations. We are encouraging all units to use this system to check the training status of all of their leaders. All you need is a list of membership ID Numbers and you can review the training status of the registered adult leaders. A list of these numbers can be found on your charter paperwork or you can obtain a list from your District Professional.