"Scouting helps by giving Scouts with disabilities an opportunity to prove to themselves and to others that they can do things - and difficult things too - for themselves." — Lord Baden-Powell
The Heart of America Council, Scouts with Disabilities Awareness Task Force is committed to making Scouting accessible and enjoyable to all boys and Venture age girls regardless of their abilities.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
- Help create individual Scout Achievement Plan
- Provide hands-on resources to individual Scouts or Packs/ Troops
- Provide assistance at Day Camp/ Scouting 500/STEM
- Teach Patrol Leaders, Adult Leaders, and Parents how to help a Scout become successful with any disability.
- Create lessons to help the Scout meet all requirements of the rank or achievements/ merit badges.
- Train leaders on advancement procedures for special needs Scouts.
- Consult on issues impeding a Scout's progress with the parents and leadership- physical, cognitive, behavior, sensory.
Forms/ Training/ Handouts/Newsletters
Merit Badge Lesson Plans
Rank Advancement Scout to First Class Accommodation Ideas
The Torch of Gold Award: Nominate a Scout or Scout leader that has given outstanding service and leadership for at least two years to Scouts with Disabilities.
Click here for Torch of Gold Award Form
These are hands-on resources for Scouts whose abilities require assistance. Resource kits are available for check out in each district.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Scout Oath and Law
- Outdoor Code
- First Aid
- Teaching Knots to Scouts with Poor Motor Skills
Karen Jones, Scouts with Disability Chair: 816-223-8036
Jason Bledsoe, Scouts with Disabilities Advisor: 816-569-4984
- Committee Meeting Calendar 2018
- Meetings are open to all who want to serve.
- February 19
- April 23
- August 20
- December 10
Meetings are at the KC Carpenter's Regional Council 8955 E. 38 Terr. KC, MO 64129 at 6:30 p.m.
Teaching Knots to Scouts with Disabilities
Application for Alternative Merit Badges
Scout to First Class Template
Special Event Care Plan for STEM
Scouting Spirit Contract
Environmental Science Requirements
Personal Management Merit Badge Requirements