All Merit Badge Counselors must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America. Even if you are already registered in another position, you must still complete a BSA Adult Application #524-501 form with the Position Code “42” (no charge). Note: Effective April 1, 2003, the Social Security Number on all adults is required by the National Boy Scouts of America. Send this form, along with the BSA Adult Application form to the Heart of America Council, 10210 Holmes Rd, Kansas City, MO 64131-4212.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation or avocation.
- Be able to work with Scout-age boys.
- Be registered as a Merit Badge Counselor with the Boy Scouts of America. (Submit Adult BSA Application with your Merit Badge Counselor Application.)
- Attend Merit Badge Counselor Orientation.
- Attend Youth Protection Training.
The Boy Scout Handbook instructs the Scout to meet with you, before he starts to establish a mutual understanding of the requirements and his commitment to complete those requirements.
By signing the back of this form, you agree to the following standards:
As a Merit Badge Counselor, I will:
- Examine the latest revision of the BSA Merit Badge pamphlet of each Merit Badge.
- Require the Scout to complete all and only all of the requirements.
- Counsel the Scout to:
- Keep his appointment.
- Be in uniform.
- Bring a legible filled out Merit Badge Card signed in ink by his unit leader or designee.
- In keeping with BSA Youth Protection Guidelines, have multiple Scouts/Adults at every counseling session.
Notify the District Advancement Chair if I can’t serve as a Merit Badge Counselor any longer this year.
Renew my merit badge application every year. If I let my membership lapse, I will complete a new BSA Adult Application for Merit Badge Counseling.
Email Rocky Hommes if you wish to change the list of badges you counsel.
Merit Badge Counselor Applications