District Training Chair
Every Youth Deserves a Trained Leader
Youth participate in Scouting because it's fun! Part of making it fun is making sure the adults in the program get the training to know how to operate the Scouting program in a fun, safe and appropriate way. All leaders in the Northern Lights District, Heart of America Council and throughout Scouting need to be trained to keep the program fun and interesting and keep the youth coming back for more.
All adult leaders MUST take Youth Protection Training. It must be renewed every two years and can be easily done online! Since this training program is online, we recommend you ask all adults, leaders, parents and other adults that interact with your youth, take Youth Protection Training. Even if someone is not registered with the BSA, they can take this very informative training. There are two versions of this training which are age-appropriate for youth in all our programs:
After taking Youth Protection Training, an individual wishing to be registered with the BSA should complete his/her training appropriate for the position in which he/she is registering. Some of the Basic Leader Trainings are available online at www.my.scouting.org. Those courses not available online are offered periodically by the Northern Lights District Training Staff; some of the online courses are also offered, on occasion.
With new updates to myscouting.org and my.scouting.org, please DO NOT create additional accounts. Doing this will cause an additional profile in Scoutnet on the Council side.
There are many training courses that can be taken online at http://my.scouting.org.
- Create an account — this can be done with or without your BSA membership ID.
- If you enter your membership ID, your training records will be updated at the Council Office.
- If you are not yet registered, you can still take training, just print the certificate at the end of each course.
- After your account is created you will receive an email with a link. Click the link to activate your My.Scouting account. This must be done before you can log in. If you do not receive an email, check your spam/junk folder.
- Once you log in to my.scouting, click "Home" at the top left corner. Then click "My Dashboard." It will default to the "My Training" section which has been updated to provide four tab selections:
- YPT – displays the Youth Protection training courses available.
- Training Center – displays the Scouting programs containing the training courses applicable to the specific program.
- Requirements – displays training courses required to become position-trained for your current registered position(s).
- Completions – displays training courses that were completed.
- Submit your certificate of completion to your Unit Leader and District Training Chair.
At this time, the http://my.scouting.org page is functioning for Training Validations. We are encouraging all units to use this system to check the training status of all of their leaders. All you need is a list of membership ID Numbers and you can review the training status of the registered adult leaders. A list of these numbers can be found on your charter paperwork or you can obtain a list from your District Professional.
Several program exist to help train your Boy Scouts and Venturers how to be effective leaders in and out of Scouting! Some of these programs are done within the unit and some are offered at the district, council, and higher levels to build on what you teach at the unit level. Below are some of the common youth training programs that are most utilized by Scouting units. Find a comprehensive list of youth training courses and syllabi by clicking HERE!
Unit-administered Youth Training
District & Council Administered Youth Training
Area, Regionally & Nationally Administered Youth Training
*Must be approved by the Council Training Chair prior to running this program
^Must be approved by the Council Scout Executive if hosted by a single council or the group of Council Scout Executives if hosted by multiple councils and the Area Training Chair.
Merit Badge Counselor Training is offered at the Northern Lights Roundtable in January, March, May, September, and November at 7:00pm.
If you have questions about Merit Badge Counselor Training or would like to set up a separate training (for at least 8 adults), contact Dave Stanway at 816-741-4644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adult Advanced & Supplemental Training
Beyond your basic leader training, there are several training programs you can participate in to gain a better understanding of leadership and executing the Scouting program. Please take a few moments to take advantage of these additional opportunities:
Adult Training Awards
The training awards and keys are designed to recognize unit Scouters for tenure, training, and performance in their leadership roles.