The fall is almost here and that means back to school and back to Scouting. And as you start to welcome new families to Scouting or re-register current Scouts, there are few key changes to be aware of when it comes to new BSA membership fees and yearly renewals.
Effective August 1, 2023:
All new youth and adult members who join Scouting will now be enrolled in a 12-month membership cycle - a convenience that will eliminate the traditional recharter process for new families and will discontinue prorated fees. All new youth and adults will pay the full annual membership fee and council program fee upon joining and will renew their membership on the anniversary date of joining Scouting.
Starting in October 2024:
The traditional recharter process will also cease. Existing members’ anniversary date will be their unit recharter month. Each registered member of the BSA will receive an email notification with a registration renewal link beginning 60 days before the anniversary month they joined Scouting. Units will have the option to pay for their membership instead of individual families. Leaders will receive a copy of the email and should stay engaged in the membership renewal process like rechartering.
The cost of joining has also changed as the National Council of the BSA approved a new fee structure effective August 1, 2023.
- $80 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting participants ($5 increase)
- $60 for all adult volunteers ($15 increase) to provide general liability insurance and enhanced background checks
- $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouting
- $25 for Merit Badge Counselors (new fee applies only for Merit Badge Counselors not already registered as leaders)
- $50 for youth and adult Exploring participants ($5 increase)
- $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee (no change)
- $15 for Scout Life magazine
- $39 council program fee (no change)
So, why the increase? The main driver is the cost to provide general liability insurance and enhanced background checks for all adults. While the decision to raise national BSA fees is always a difficult one, these changes are essential to building a strong, safe, and vibrant Scouting program for our nation’s youth.
We’ve also included more resources below including a sharable fee structure overview, national FAQ and how you can make multiple payments using the convenience of ScoutPay.
Fee Structure Overview National Fee FAQ Learn about ScoutPay