Upcoming Activities in 2020
Please see Shawnee Trails District page for updates on impacted activities for April. You can also see the latest info at our Facebook page.
2020 Scouts Discover Scuba Diving
The Dive Shop will be offering an unique experience for Shawnee Trails Scouts BSA participants over the age of 12. Starting in January 2020 through June 2020 the Dive Shop will offer up to 10 Scouts a dive lesson at their facility. There is no cost for the activity, and this is not a certification course. The Scout must provide an appropriate swimsuit and a towel, the Dive Shop will furnish everything else. The sessions will be offered once a month on Saturdays starting in January. The dive lesson will last 1 hour and 15 minutes. Scouts will spend 15 minutes in a classroom setting reviewing safety protocols for the dive lesson and move to the pool for the final hour. The Dive Shop will follow the Boy Scouts of America Scuba Policy in the Guide to Safe Scouting.
The troop needs to attend the Shawnee Trails monthly Roundtable to pick up a flier with a registration code to register their group and time slot. Questions can be directed to John Wiedenmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available Dates in 2020: January 4, February 15, March 14, April 11, May 9, and June 20.
Community Service Hours
Community service is a key point of the Scouting program. Through community service, we promote better citizenship in our members. The BSA Journey to Excellence program helps units include that as part of a well-rounded unit program. For more information about community service, using the Journey to Excellence website to reflect your commitment to community service, and learn about community service opportunities, go to HOAC Community Service.
For easy instructions on how to enter your service hours, click here.
Shawnee Trails District Camping Information
See the Day Camp Page. Step back into time with Jurassic Cubs on June 15 - 19, 2020 at the Shawnee Indian Mission!
Cub Scout Resident Camp
Boy Scout Resident Camp
- Bartle - A ten-day, nine-night camping experience in the summer for Boy Scouts. Summer Camp at Bartle features merit badges, outposts, and the Tribe of Mic-O-Say to name a few available programs! Bartle Summer Camp dates, registration, forms, and more can be found by clicking here!
- Naish - A seven-day, six-night camping experience in the summer for Boy Scouts. Summer Camp at Naish features merit badges, outposts, and the Order of the Arrow to name a few available programs! Naish Summer Camp dates, registration, forms, and more can be found by clicking here!
- Rotary - Rotary Camp offers long-term camp experience for Scouts with Special Needs. Campers must be registered in a Boy Scout Troop or Venturing Crew to attend Rotary. Rotary Camp dates, registration, forms, and more can be found by clicking here!
- STEM - A new area of camps for the Heart of America Council includes camps for Scouts of all ages and in all our programs. To find out more about STEM Camping and other STEM related events, including reserving the STEM trailer, check out our STEM page!
High Adventure Camps
- Philmont Scout Ranch - Hike the most storied high adventure base the Boy Scouts offers in New Mexico! Find out more here!
- Northern Tier - Step back in time and experience the remote wilderness of northern Minnesota and southern Ontario! Find out more here!
- Florida Sea Base - Sail and snorkel the Caribbean waters by planning a trip to the Florida Keys! Find out more here!
- The Summit - Zip line, whitewater, mountain bike, and more through the mountains of West Virginia! Find out more here!
Order of the Arrow
Order of the Arrow (OA) is the national honor society of the Boy Scouts of America. The mission of the Order of the Arrow is to fulfill its purpose as an integral part of the Boy Scouts of America through positive youth leadership under the guidance of selected adults. OA fulfills its mission by recognizing those that best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives with these additional opportunities, promoting camping as essential in every Scout's experience, further developing leaders in Scouting to use those skills in and out of Scouting, and build habits of cheerful service to others.
At the local level, Tamegonit Lodge, operates within the Heart of America Council to support Scouting throughout the council. The lodge is divided into Chapters, which match the geographic district boundaries. The Chapter is led by a youth Chapter Chief and advised by an adult Chapter Advisor. Our Chapter Advisor is Jeff Deane. To see how the Order of the Arrow Chapter can support your unit with OA Elections, program offerings, and other support please contact Jeff Deane.
The Tribe of Mic-O-Say serves as a leadership enhancement program of the Heart of America Council, designed to help the Heart of America Council fulfill its mission of preparing young people of Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri to make ethical choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
Mic-O-Say accomplishes its purposes by affording members ongoing opportunities for introspection on Scouting values as well as practical application of those ideals. The program is focused on Scouts who have shown leadership abilities through specific achievement and growth, and provides them with a distinctive lifelong direction. The program is energized by memorable customs and traditions.
Tribesman who have embraced the principles of Mic-O-Say will find their lives enriched by a vision raised to higher sights, see their performance increased beyond previous limitations, and will develop lifelong friendships. They will stand tall within their communities as examples of unselfish service and of willing leadership. Additional information about the Tribe of Mic-O-Say can be found here!
Summer Camp Staff
Each summer, all of the Heart of America Council Resident Camps offer staff positions, paid and volunteer, for youth and adults. Paid positions are available to individuals 15 years of age and older. The Heart of America Council offers a limited Counselor-in-Training program at Naish Scout Reservation for 14 year-old youth. There are volunteer Camp Commissioner positions and other volunteer roles available for adults throughout the summer camp season as well. To learn more about summer camp staff or to apply for summer camp staff, click here!