Emphasis Programs: November 2015
Below are the activities, programs or campaigns that will be emphasized by the Red-Tailed Hawk District Committee and Commissioner Staffs. These emphasis programs will change on a monthly basis as the Scouting calendar moves on. You will see anywhere from two to five key topics each month with a brief summary of each and links to more detailed information to support your efforts! This month, these programs will be the primary programs of emphasis from the Red-Tailed Hawk District to help your unit's program succeed:
- Unit Inventories - If you have not yet done so, please submit your unit-maintained roster to Cortland or Courtney so they can cross-check your records with the Council records. We'll inform you of any discrepancies and work with you to register any Scouts that are not registered in our system but should be! This will help make your recharter easier and ensure those youth are getting all the benefits of registration with the BSA.
- Recharter Preparation - Recharter booklets will be available at the November Roundtable. Also included will be your unit's list of YPT training information and a recharter turn-in schedule. Please start letting your families know that recharter is happening and that they need to prepare to pay registration again. There is no lapsed period for rechartering anymore, so it is important that you maintain the importance of this process within your unit to complete this as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Fall Popcorn Sales - Make sure you schedule a time to pick-up your popcorn at the Final Distribution on November 6-7 at Allegion Warehouse. Popcorn delivery should be prompt so that you can collect payment to pay your final popcorn bill by the December 9 deadline. And don't forget to send a copy of your unit's budget and program plan to Cortland or Courtney. By attending training, submitting your budget & program plan, and paying your bill on-time, you can get an extra 2% commission!
- 2016 Family IIC Scheduling - If you have not yet done so, please make sure to schedule your unit's Investment in Character presentation with Cliff Ogle as soon as possible. This is a large campaign and many of the presentation will happen at the same time. The more notice we have, the better we can plan and prepare an outstanding presentation for your unit!
- RTH District Dinner - On February 6, 2016, the final event of the Red-Tailed Hawk era will take place. This District Dinner will honor the work of youth and leaders in 2015 and recognize the outstanding contributions Scouts and Scouters have made to the community. Please make plans now to attend the dinner. Don't forget to complete a nomination form for a leader you think deserving of recognition from your unit or at the district level.
Roundtable is our monthly gathering for unit and district leaders. This is a great way to learn about upcoming events and activities, camping and training opportunities, program updates, new Scouting initiatives, and get ideas to make your Scouting program better.
Roundtables are typically held on the first Thursday of each month (except July) at 7:00 p.m. at Olathe Community of Christ Church, 15520 S Ridgeview Rd., Olathe, KS 66062. Please note that a Roundtable date and/or location may be adjusted for holiday or seasonal reasons.
District Leadership Opportunities
The men and women who take the time to volunteer at the district level do that to help support units by running better programs; growing youth and adult participation in their Packs, Troops, Teams and Crews; and funding the activities we plan to keep young people excited about being in Scouting. There are many different opportunities for you to share your talent with other Scouts and Scouters by volunteering at the district level. For more about volunteering as a district leader, go to Red-Tailed Hawk District Leadership.
District leaders meet on a monthly basis. Typically, these meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month (except July). The Commissioner Meeting is held at 6:30 p.m., immediately followed by the Committee Meeting at 7:30 p.m. These meetings are held at Indian Creek Community Church, 12480 S Black Bob Rd, Olathe, KS 66062. Please note that district leadership meetings dates and/or locations may be adjusted for holiday or seasonal reasons.
Upcoming District Activities