- Complete Venturing Leader Fast Start Training.
- Complete Youth Protection Training.
- Complete New Leader Essentials Training.
- Complete Venturing Leader Job Specific Training.
Serve as Venturing Advisor for at least 18 months.
- Achieve the Quality Unit Award at least once while serving as Crew Advisor.
- Demonstrate the use of the Venturing Silver Award program.
- Develop youth leadership by effective use of crew officers.
- Use the crew officer orientation and program planning process.
- Have a proven positive relationship with the chartered organization and associated Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack, if any.
- Project a positive image of Venturing in the community.
- Attract and hold Venturers with crew program and operation.
- Lead crew in completion of the Venturing Leadership Skills Course.
The crew president in conjunction with the crew officers have the responsibility of nominating the Advisor. The nomination is approved by the crew committee chairman.
The nomination is certified by the unit commissioner and forwarded to the local council service center.
The nomination is then approved by the Scout Executive and Council Commissioner.
* Note: This award can be earned from different programs. For this award a miniature device pins can be worn which indicates the program phase where the award was earned. One does not wear multiple copies of the same square knot, but can wear multiple miniature device pins on a square knot.