- Complete Varsity Scout Leader Fast Start Training.
- Complete Youth Protection Training.
- Complete New Leader Essentials Training.
- Complete Job Specific Training for your position.
- Complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills Training.
Complete a total of 2 years as a registered adult Varsity Scout leader.
Do any five of the following:
- Participate in a team leader seminar.
- Help with two annual unit and/or district Friends of Scouting enrollments.
- Serve as a Varsity Scout program instructor or training course staff member.
- Participate actively in three team parents' nights or courts of honor
- Coordinate at least one team money earning project.
- Serve for at least one year as team committee person assigned to one of the five program fields of emphasis.
- Participate in six Varsity Scout leader huddles.
- Serve as an approved merit badge counselor for at least five Varsity Scouts.
- Serve for at least one year as chairman of a Varsity Scout team committee.
- Serve for at least one year on the Varsity Scout huddle staff.
- Help organize or reorganize a Varsity Scout team.
* Note: This award can be earned from different programs. For this award a miniature device pins can be worn which indicates the program phase where the award was earned. One does not wear multiple copies of the same square knot, but can wear multiple miniature device pins on a square knot.