New District Director
Please welcome James Arcano as the new District Director for Iron Horse District. James comes to Iron Horse after two years of successful leadership of the Big Muddy District. James grew up in Scouting in the Kansas City area, is an Eagle Scout, a Keeper of the Sacred Bundle in the Tribe of Mic-O-Say, and a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. James is excited to grow Scouting in the Iron Horse District and support each of you as we partner in that effort.
Emphasis Programs: August 2016
Below are the activities, programs or campaigns that will be emphasized by the Iron Horse District Committee and Commissioner Staffs. These emphasis programs will change on a monthly basis as the Scouting calendar moves on. You will see anywhere from two to five key topics each month with a brief summary of each and links to more detailed information to support your efforts! This month, these programs will be the primary programs of emphasis from the Iron Horse District to help your unit's program succeed:
- Cub Scout School Night - We have all been hard at work this summer to prepare for a fall filled with new Cub Scout families joining the Scouting program! From work at the Pack level promoting your programs to work at the district and council level to provide more and improved resources to help you out, we are sure to have one of the most successful School Night recruiting programs of the past several years!
- Popcorn Sales - Make sure your unit is signed up to sell popcorn. This is one of the best ways to ensure that more than 70% of the sales of this product stay here in Kansas City! With Seller's Academies coming up on August 13 and 20, it's vital to sign-up to sell and RSVP for one of our Seller's Academies!
- New Units - One of the strongest ways to expand the Scouting program and offer more opportunities to new youth and families to get involved in Scouting is to start new units. New units serve to give people who aren't currently in Scouting another chance to enjoy the benefits of the Scouting program. As our communities continue to grow and diversify, we will look for new opportunities to expand Scouting to people that are not currently involved in our program.
- Cub Scout Family Campout - With a new format this year, we are excited to share this revamped program with you at either Naish or Bartle this fall! You have six dates to offer to new families, so they can fit one of these weekend into their schedule. Volunteers from Iron Horse District will be staffing the Campout on September 23-24 at Naish, so we encourage you to promote that date, but any Cub Scout Family Campout date is available to any of our Cub Scouts!
- Camporee - Plan are being made to the first ever Iron Horse District Camporee. Scheduled for October 7-9, we are looking forward to a great program for you and your Scouts. Join us at the September Roundtable for more details!
The Purpose of Iron Horse District
Iron Horse District exists to work through chartered organizations and community groups to organize and support successful Scouting units in a council-defined geographic area. Scouting units within the geographic area of De Soto School District, Gardner-Edgerton School District, Olathe School District, and Spring Hill School District are included in Iron Horse District.
Functions of Iron Horse District
District Leadership & Support
Roundtable Commissioner Staff District Committee
District Executives District Calendar HOAC Home Page